“I had once came to HKU as a visiting scholar and was impressed by the high level research , and more so by the hardworking attitude of students. I look forward to teaching soon, and engage in exciting knowledge exchange with the young generation.”
Fabrice Lumineau is a Professor in Strategic Management at HKU Business School, The University of Hong Kong.
His research investigates inter-organizational partnerships, the interplay between contract and trust in collaborative strategies, opportunism and ethical issues, and dispute negotiation dynamics. He has published more than 30 articles in the top management journals, such as Academy of Management Annals, Academy of Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, Organization Science, Organization Studies, and Strategic Management Journal.
Prof. Lumineau serves on the editorial board of Strategic Management Journal and Strategic Organization. He also currently serves as the Program Chair of the Cooperative Strategies Interest Group at the Strategic Management Society.
He has received a number of scholarly awards such as the Best Paper Award from the Business Policy and Strategy division and the Most Influential Article Award from the Conflict Management division at the Academy of Management Conference, the Discovery Early Career Research Award from the Australian Research Council, and the Jay Ross Faculty Scholar Award at Purdue University.
So far, Prof. Lumineau has taught in six main fields and has received numerous teaching recognitions: Inter-Organizational Relationships and Partnerships (Ph.D. and MSc levels); Psycho-Cognitive Foundations of Strategy (Ph.D. level); Strategic Management (MBA, MSc, and BBA levels); International Strategy (MBA, Weekend MBA, MSc, and BBA levels); Channel Management (MBA and BBA levels); and programs in executive education. In 2017, Prof. Lumineau was chosen by Poets & Quants as one of the “40 Under 40 Most Outstanding Business School Professors.”
Prof. Lumineau has lived in France, the USA, Germany, Canada, Switzerland, Australia, and China. Prior to receiving his PhD from HEC Paris, he worked as a project manager in the insurance and investment banking industries.
- Strategic Management
- Global Strategy
- Alliances & Partnerships
- Inter-Organizational Partnerships
- Blockchain Governance
- Conflict Management
- Um T., Guo S.L., Lumineau F., Shi W., & Song, R. 2021. “The Downside of CFO Function-Based Language Incongruity.” Academy of Management Journal. Forthcoming.
- Keller A., Lumineau F., Mellewigt T., & Ariño 2021. “Alliance Governance Mechanisms in the Face of Disruption.” Organization Science. Forthcoming.
- Eckerd S., Handley S., & Lumineau F. 2021. “How Governance Influences Trust Violations in Buyer-Supplier Relationships.” Journal of Supply Chain Management. Forthcoming.
- Lumineau F., Wang W., & Schilke O. 2021. “Blockchain Governance—A New Way of Organizing Collaborations?” Organization Science. 32(2): 500-521.
- Lumineau F., Wang W., Schilke O., & Huang L. 2021. “How Blockchain Can Simplify Partnerships.” Harvard Business Review.
- Lumineau F., Hanisch M., & Wurtz O. 2021. “International Management as Management of Diversity: Reconceptualizing Distance as Diversity.” Journal of Management Studies. Forthcoming.
- Lumineau F. & Oliveira N. 2020. “Reinvigorating the Analysis of Opportunism in Supply Chain Management.” Journal of Supply Chain Management, 56(1): 73-87.
- Graebner M., Lumineau F., & Fudge-Kamal D. 2020. “Unrequited: Asymmetry in Interorganizational Trust.” Strategic Organization, 18(2): 362-374.
- Wilden R., Hohberger J., Devinney T.M., & Lumineau F. 2019. “60 Years of March and Simon’s Organizations: An Empirical Examination of Its Impact and Influence on Subsequent Research.” Journal of Management Studies, 56(8): 1570-1604.
- Oliveira N. & Lumineau F. 2019. “The Dark Side of Interorganizational Relationships: An Integrative Review and Research Agenda.” Journal of Management, 45(1): 231-261.
- Lumineau F. & Mulotte L. 2019. “How Governance Modes Intertwine Over Time: Beyond an Embeddedness-Based Approach to Post-Acquisition Divestitures.” Academy of Management Discoveries, 5(2): 201-204.
- Cao Z., Li Y., Jayaram J., Liu Y., & Lumineau F. 2018. “A Meta-Analysis of the Exchange Hazards – Interfirm Governance Relationship: An Informal Institutions Perspective.” Journal of International Business Studies, 49(3): 303-323.
- Lumineau F. & Oliveira O. 2018. “A Pluralistic Perspective to Overcome Major Blind Spots in Research on Interorganizational Relationships.” Academy of Management Annals, 12(1): 440-465.
- Schilke O. & Lumineau F. 2018. “The Double-Edged Effect of Contracts on Alliance Performance.” Journal of Management, 44(7): 2827-2858.
- Lumineau F. & Schilke O. 2018. “Trust Development across Levels of Analysis: An Embedded-Agency Perspective.” Journal of Trust Research, 8(2): 238-248.
- Oliveira N. & Lumineau F. 2017. “How Coordination Trajectories Influence the Performance of Interorganizational Project Networks.” Organization Science, 28(6): 1029-1060.
- Lumineau F. 2017. “How Contracts Influence Trust and Distrust.” Journal of Management, 43(5): 1553-1577.
- Guo S.L., Lumineau F., & Lewicki R.J. 2017. “Revisiting the Foundations of Organizational Distrust.” Foundations and Trends in Management, 1(1): 1-88.
- Bertrand O. & Lumineau F. 2016. “Partners in Crime: The Effects of Diversity on the Longevity of Cartels.” Academy of Management Journal, 59(3): 1-26.
- Lumineau F. & Verbeke A. 2016. “Let’s Give Opportunism the Proper Back Seat.” Academy of Management Review, 41(4): 739-741.
- Duplat V. & Lumineau F. 2016. “Third Parties and Contract Design: The Case of Contracts for Technology Transfer.” Managerial and Decision Economics, 37: 424-444.
- Cao Z. & Lumineau F. 2015. “Revisiting the Interplay between Contractual and Relational Governance: A Qualitative and Meta-Analytic Investigation.” Journal of Operations Management, 33: 15-42.
- Lumineau F., Eckerd S,, & Handley S. 2015. “Interorganizational Conflict: Overview, Challenges, and Opportunities.” Journal of Strategic Contracting and Negotiation, 1(1): 42-64.
- Bertrand O., Lumineau F., & Fedorova E. 2014. “The Supportive Factors of Firms’ Collusive Behavior: Empirical Evidence from Cartels in the European Union.” Organization Studies, 35(6): 881-908.
- Lumineau F. & Oxley J. 2012. “Let’s Work It Out (Or We’ll See You in Court): Litigation and Private Dispute Resolution in Vertical Exchange Relationships.” Organization Science, May/June 23: 820-834.
- Lumineau F. & Henderson J. 2012. “The Influence of Relational Experience and Contractual Governance on the Negotiation Strategy in Buyer-Supplier Disputes.” Journal of Operations Management, 30(5): 382-395.
- Lumineau F. & Quélin B. 2012. “An Empirical Investigation of Interorganizational Opportunism and Contracting Mechanisms.” Strategic Organization, 10(1): 55-84.
- Malhotra D. & Lumineau F. 2011. “Trust and Collaboration in the Aftermath of Conflict: The Effects of Contract Structure.” Academy of Management Journal, 54(5): 981-998.
- Lumineau F. & Malhotra D. 2011. “Shadow of the Contract: How Contract Structure Shapes Inter-Firm Dispute Resolution.” Strategic Management Journal, 32(5): 532-555.
- Lumineau F., Fréchet M., & Puthod D. 2011. “An Organizational Learning Perspective on Contract Design.” Strategic Organization, 9(1): 8-32.
Awards and Honours
- 2021 Journal of Supply Chain Management’s Harold E. Fearon Best Paper Award
- 2019 Conflict Management Division’s Most Influential Article Award – Academy of Management
- 2019 Journal of Operations Management’s Ambassador Award
- 2019 Finalist for the International Management Division Best Paper Award – Academy of Management
- 2019 Blake Ethics Research Grant – Purdue University
- 2017 40 Under 40 Most Outstanding Business School Professors – Poets & Quants
- 2017 University Faculty Scholar for outstanding mid-career faculty – Purdue University
- 2016 Jay Ross Faculty Scholar Award – Purdue University
- 2016 Journal of Strategic Contracting and Negotiation’s Best Paper Award
- 2014 Honorary Member – Pi Delta Phi, Purdue University
- 2013 Finalist for the Emerald Best International Symposium Award – Academy of Management
- 2013 Nominated for the Practice Implications Award – Strategic Management Society
- 2012 Discovery Early Career Research Award – Australian Research Council
- 2011 Nominated for the Best Conference Paper Award – Strategic Management Society
- 2011 Nominated for the Practice Implications Award – Strategic Management Society
- 2011 Finalist for the Early Career Research Excellence Award – University of Technology Sydney
- 2009 Distinguished Paper Award – BPS Division – Academy of Management
- 2009 Nominated for the Carolyn Dexter Award – Academy of Management
- 2008 Nominated for the HEC Foundation Best Dissertation Award