Prof. Xiaodong ZHU
Area Head of Economics
Academic & Professional Qualification
- Ph.D. (economics), University of Chicago, 1991
- M.S. (statistics), Wuhan University, 1985
- B.S. (mathematics), Wuhan University, 1982
Xiaodong Zhu joined the Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Hong Kong as a professor in 2022. Prior to that, he was a professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Toronto, where he taught for 30 years. He is a leading expert on the Chinese economy and his research on China has been published in top economics journals such as the American Economic Review, Journal of Political Economy, Journal of Monetary Economics, International Economic Review, Journal of Development Economics, Review of Economic Dynamics, and Journal of Economic Perspectives.
- China in the Global Economy (undergraduate common core course)
- Topics in Macroeconomic Research of China (for graduate students)
- Chinese Economy
- Growth and Development
- “Finance, Endogenous TFP, and Misallocation” (with Chaoran Chen and Ashique Habib), conditionally accepted by American Economic Review: Insight.
- “Migration Costs, Sorting, and the Agricultural Productivity Gap” (with Qingen Gai, Naijia Guo, Bingjing Li, and Qinghua Shi), revision requested by Econometrica.
- “Structural Change and Aggregate Employment Fluctuations in China” (with Wen Yao), International Economic Review, 62 (1), 65-100, 2021.
- “The Varying Shadow of China’s Banking System”, Journal of Comparative Economics, 49 (1), 135-146, 2021.
- “The Effect of Migration Policy on Growth, Structural Change, and Regional Inequality in China” (with Tongtong Hao, Ruiqi Sun, and Trevor Tombe), Journal of Monetary Economics, 113, 112-134, 2020.
- “Trade, Migration, and Productivity: A Quantitative Analysis of China” (with Trevor Tombe), American Economic Review, 109 (5) 1843-72, 2019.
- “Factor Market Distortions across Time, Space and Sectors in China” (with Loren Brandt and Trevor Tombe), Review of Economic Dynamics, 16, 39-58, 2013.
- “Modernization of Agriculture and Long-Term Growth” (with Dennis Tao Yang), Journal of Monetary Economics, 60, 367-382, 2013.
- “Understanding China’s Growth”, Journal of Economic Perspectives, 26 (4), 103-124, Fall 2012
- “Agriculture and aggregate productivity: A quantitative cross-country analysis” (with Diego Restuccia and Dennis Tao Yang), Journal of Monetary Economics, 55 (2), pp. 234-250, March 2008.
- “Fiscal Shocks and Fiscal Risk Management,” (with Huw Lloyd-Ellis), Journal of Monetary Economics, 48, pp.309-38, 2001.
- “Redistribution in a Decentralized Economy: Growth and Inflation in China under Reform,” (with Loren Brandt), Journal of Political Economy, 108, pp.422-39, 2000.
- “Optimal Fiscal Policy in a Stochastic Growth Model,” Journal of Economic Theory, 58, pp. 250-89, 1992.