- Ph.D. UC Berkeley
- B.A. Peking University
Guojun HE is an economist working on environmental, development, and governance issues. Currently, he is a professor in Economics at the University of Hong Kong (HKU). He serves as the director of HKU’s ESG Research Institute and the associate director of HKU’s Institute of China Economy. He holds a concurrent appointment at the Energy Policy Institute of the University of Chicago (EPIC) and leads research activities of its China center (EPIC-China).
HE’s research tries to address some of the most challenging problems faced by developing countries and seeks to produce empirically grounded estimates for optimal policy design. The majority of his work focuses on understanding the benefits and costs of environmental policies, while he also has a broader research interest in development and governance issues.
He has won multiple academic awards, including the Zhang Pei-Gang Award for Outstanding Achievement in Development Economics (the highest award in China for development economics research) and the Gregory Chow Best Paper Award from the Chinese Economists Society. In addition, He is also a Fellow of the Asian Bureau of Financial Economic Research, an external research affiliate of the Institute of Sustainable and Green Finance at the National University of Singapore, a visiting scholar at the University of Chicago, and a consultant to the Asian Development Bank, CICC Research Institute and other institutions.
- Environmental Economics
- Applied Econometrics (Causal Inference)
- Mark Buntaine, Michael Greenstone, Guojun He, Shaoda Wang, Mengdi Liu, and Bing Zhang, “Does the Squeaky Wheel Get More Grease? Citizen Participation, Social Media, and Environmental Governance in China,” American Economic Review, forthcoming.
- He, Guojun, Jeffrey T. LaFrance, Jeffrey M. Perloff, and Richard Volpe, “How Do Everyday-Low-Price Supermarkets Adjust Their Prices?” Review of Industrial Organization, 2023, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11151-023-09922-0.
- He, Guojun, Yuhang Pan, Albert Park, Yasuyuku Sawada, and Elaine S. Tan. “Reducing Single-Use Cutlery with Green Nudges: Evidence from China’s Food Delivery Industry,” Science, 8 Sep 2023, Vol 381, Issue 6662.
- He, Guojun and Takanao Tanaka. “Energy Saving May Kill: Evidence from the Fukushima Nuclear Accident,” American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2023, 15(2): 377-414.
- de Janvry, Alain, Guojun He, Elisabeth Sadoulet, Shaoda Wang, and Qiong Zhang. “Subjective Performance Evaluation, Influence Activities, and Bureaucratic Work Behavior: Evidence from China,” American Economic Review, 2023, 113(3): 766-99.
- Fan, Maoyong and Guojun He. “Clean Water and Infant Health: Evidence from Piped Water Provision in China,” Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 2023 10(1), 159-193.
- He, Guojun and Wenwei Peng. “Guns and Roses: Police Complicity in Organized Prostitution,” Journal of Public Economics, 2022, 207: 104599.
- Greenstone, Michael, Guojun He, Ruixue Jia, and Tong Liu. “Can Technology Solve the Principal-Agent Problem? Evidence from China’s War on Air Pollution,” American Economic Review: Insights, 2022, 4(1): 54-70.
- Greenstone, Michael, Guojun He, Shanjun Li, and Eric Yongchen Zou. “China’s War on Pollution: Evidence from the First 5 Years,” Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, 2021, 15(2): 281-299.
- Qi, Jinlei, Dandan Zhang, Xiang Zhang, Tanakao Takana, Yuhang Pan, Peng Yin, Jiangmei Liu, Shuocen Liu, George F. Gao, Guojun He, and Maigeng Zhou, “Short and Medium-Term Impacts of Strict Anti-Contagion Policies on Non-COVID-19 Mortality in China,” Nature Human Behaviour, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41562-021-01189-3.
- He, Guojun, Shaoda Wang and Bing Zhang. “Watering Down Environmental Regulation in China,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, 2020, 135(4): 2135-2185.
- He, Guojun, Yuhang Pan, and Takanao Tanaka. “The Short-term Impacts of COVID-19 Lockdown on Urban Air Pollution in China,” Nature Sustainability, 2020, 3: 1005-1011.
- He, Guojun, Yang Xie, and Bing Zhang. “Expressways, GDP, and the Environment: The Case of China,” Journal of Development Economics, 2020, 145: 102485.
- He, Guojun, Tong Liu, and Maigeng Zhou. “Straw Burning, PM2.5 and Death: Evidence from China,” Journal of Development Economics, 2020, 145: 102468.
- He, Guojun, Maoyong Fan, and Maigeng Zhou. “The Winter Choke: Coal-Fired Heating, Air Pollution, and Mortality in China,” Journal of Health Economics, 2020, 71: 102316.
- Cheung, Chun Wai, Guojun He, and Yuhang Pan. “Mitigating the Air Pollution Effect? The Remarkable Decline in the Pollution-Mortality Relationship in Hong Kong,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2020, 101: 102316.
- He, Guojun and Shaoda Wang. “Do College Graduates Serving as Village Officials Help Rural China?” American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2017, 9(4): 186-215.
- Ebenstein, Avraham, Maoyong Fan, Michael Greenstone, Guojun He and Maigeng Zhou. “New Evidence on the Impact of Sustained Exposure to Air Pollution on Life Expectancy from China’s Huai River Policy,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2017, 114(39): 10384-10389.
- He, Guojun, Maoyong Fan, and Maigeng Zhou. “The Effect of Air Pollution on Mortality in China: Evidence from the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2016, 79: 18-39.
- He, Guojun and Jeffrey M. Perloff. “Surface Water Quality and Infant Mortality in China,” Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2016, 65(1): 119-139.
- Ebenstein, Avraham, Maoyong Fan, Michael Greenstone, Guojun He, Peng Yin, and Maigeng Zhou. “Growth, Pollution, and Life Expectancy: China from 1991-2012,” American Economic Review (P&P), 2015, 105(5): 226-231.