Research conducted at HKU on clawbacks has had a major influence on the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s policymaking process, and has stimulated public debate by offering a holistic discussion on the benefits and shortfalls of clawbacks. The ensuing regulatory reforms have been widely discussed and debated in the media and across the global regulatory community.
- BBA CUHK
- MSA UIUC
- PhD UT-Dallas
Dr. Chan’s research interests include archival financial accounting and auditing, specifically in the areas of financial reporting quality, corporate disclosure, corporate governance, and investor trading behavior. One of her research is in the area of clawback provisions, which investigates the effects and consequences of clawback adoptions in terms of financial reporting quality and investment behavior. Her research has been cited by the SEC and covered in numerous international press releases including CFO.com, Accounting Today, Thomson Reuters, Financial Director, and National Law Review. Her publication was featured in the monthly press release by American Accounting Association (AAA).
- Intermediate Financial Accounting II (Undergraduate)
- Accounting for Business Decisions (MBA)
- Financial reporting quality
- Corporate governance
- Substitution between Real and Accruals-Based Earnings Management after Voluntary Adoption of Compensation Clawback Provisions with K. Chen, T. Chen, and Y. Yu, January 2015, The Accounting Review, Vol. 90, pp. 147-174.
- The Effects of Firm-initiated Clawback Provisions on Bank Loan Contracting with K. Chen and T. Chen, December 2013, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol 110(3), pp.659-679
- The Effects of Firm-initiated Clawback Provisions on Earnings Quality and Auditor Behavior with K. Chen, T. Chen, and Y. Yu, October 2012, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol 54(2), pp. 180-196
- Reexamining the Relation Between Audit and Non-Audit Fees: Dealing With Weak Instruments in Two-Stage Least Squares Estimation with T. Chen, S. Janakiraman, and S. Radhakrishnan, lead article, July 2012, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Vol. 27(3), pp. 299-324